Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Broccoli,Kale,Apple Salad with Lemon Poppyseed Dressing !

I love beautiful,delicious salads now in the hot summertime, and all year round !! From leafy green, to colorful fruit, to whole grain, to legumes, to potato, to grilled vegetable, to combinations of assorted ingredients....I am a salad fanatic ! Satisfaction for me is to create a beautiful and delicious salad for myself,my family,or Oneg (family dinner) for Bet Shalom Messianic Congregation in Fresno,where I worship.It sometimes is a challenge to think of a new recipe.

   Once I was sitting with a family during Oneg,and I overhead a young girl tell her mother that she liked a particular kale salad that that someone had brought that night.Having been in the church kitchen,I had seen the bag that the salad came in,and I knew that I had seen this pre-made salad at  Costco.I thought it was pretty tasty myself,so I decided to find this salad online.I discovered Andrea Walford's blog called Creating a Fierce,Fabulous,Business &and Life. Her family loves this salad,so she makes it from scratch,putting in the same ingredients for the salad,only not roasting the nuts,adding more toppings,and creating a Lemon Poppyseed Dressing with less fat,and no refined sugar.
   Andrea's healthy thinking is similar to mine, (me having struggled with sugar addiction !) so I decided to make this salad with a few extra additions of my own,and to try her lemon poppyseed dressing. Oh my goodness !! This salad is fantastic,healthy,and the dressing is out of this world !!! I have been making this salad for about 2 weeks now for myself,and I made it twice for Oneg on Shabbat ! Pick and choose the salad ingredients from the list that sound good to you. A mandoline works wonderfully for slicing the vegetables thin,or use a knife. So here we go.... let's eat something nutritious that tastes good !!



                                                        Salad                                                                                                10 kale leaves,torn off stalk and torn into pieces
6-8 brussel sprouts,sliced thin
1 broccoli ,sliced thin (peeled stalk and florets)
2 cups red cabbage,sliced thin
2 cups green cabbage,sliced thin
2 carrots,sliced thin
1-2 apples,sliced thin
1 English cucumber,sliced thin
5 radishes,any color,sliced thin

                                                  Dressing                                                                                                  


4 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons mayonaise
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup plain yogurt
1 1/2 teaspoons chia seeds
1 1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds

                                           Toppings

1 tablespoon raw sunflower seeds
2 tablespoons raw pumpkin seeds
3 tablespoons dried cranberries or raisins



                                    Instructions

   Wash the vegetables,slice them thin and mix them all together in a salad bowl.For the dressing,place all the ingredients except the poppy seeds in a bowl or a blender and blend thoroughly.Pour into a jar,then mix in the poppy seeds.You can let the dressing sit for about 15 minutes,if you want,in order to thicken it a little.The chia seeds will thicken the dressing.(I like to double or quadruple the dressing recipe because it is so delicious,and I will need more if making a large salad for a crowd.) Add the amount of dressing that you feel will cover the vegetables and sprinkle on the toppings. Mangia mangia !


 



   


                                                                                                 




















               













No comments:

Post a Comment